You never get a goodbye show in radio, unless you are CJ Morgan for some reason. You also never get a goodbye post, unless you are the guy who runs all the station social media and that happens to be CJ Morgan.
The Captain, the Wizard, and the Burt Reynolds of Radio have decided to sail their ship to another shore.
If you spend this much time in radio you are bound to have some crazy stories, memorable moments, and hopefully some notable content. During CJ Morgan’s tenure at 93.7 KLBJ, he certainly did all that. Here are a few memorable moments from the Captain:
Jen VS CJ
Shortly after Kirsten left, CJ was asked to fill in Middays on KLBJ. Jenn was a fan of the Charlie Hodge Halftime Show, which had been replaced a year earlier. What started off as a pleasant exchange of hatred between Jen and CJ turned into the Captain inviting the derby skater (known as Big Nasty) to come in studio and see if she could do his job better. Spoiler alert: her hero Charlie Hodge called in to render a surprise verdict.
Reverse Prank Calls
Most DJ’s hang up when someone mistakenly dials into their radio station. Not the Captain. Pranking telemarketers and debt collectors soon became a regular feature on the CJ Morgan Show. So much so that listeners even began putting the station’s phone number on their credit applications.
Before “going viral” was a thing, CJ breifly went viral when a video of him dancing at work was played on the Today Show. Afterwords, several news outlets (including Fox Houston) interviewed the young yet to be star. Unfortunately, however, nothing really came of his viral fame.
If there is one thing CJ was known for, it was taking his shirt off.. at work… alot
CJ Morgan’s Sexy Dad Bod
CJ’s 2017 Slutty Halloween Costumes
How to Handle Complaints
If you have been a fan of CJ’s for long, you know he used to fly off the handle and attack trolls and complainers. Then he found a creative and gentlemanly way to handle them (with sound effects).
Jackin It Dudes
Much of the Captain’s legacy was built while annoying members of the Dudley & Bob + Matt Show. CJ would come in with gossip, create crazy contests, and handle special projects for the show he loved so dearly (as well as run social and digital media behind the scenes).
CJ Can Do Radio on Any station at Any Time
It’s true, CJ is the best so why did he stay on KLBJ for so long?
Speed Dating Exes
Rather than try to meet new women and get a fresh start on one of Dudley & Bob + Matt’s speed dating segments, CJ thought it would be hilarious to bring in exes. It was awkward, humiliating for him and fun for us (yes, that is Big Nasty from earlier, lol).
While CJ was on KLBJ during the day, his pals Carrisa and Chuy would regularly pop in to make jokes and hang. This eventually led to the formation of the MMMCast podcast in 2013 and they still (occasionally) podcast to this day.
He loved to prank and play games with everyone in the office.
Much of CJ Morgan’s career involved setting up short or elaborate pranks aimed at D&B+M producer Daniel Gallo. The rivalry almost came to blows several times but the two managed to patch things up and regularly go camping and collaborate on other creative projects.
Ten Year Anniversary Celebration
To celebrate tne years workign at KLBJ CJ Morgan through a huge bash at the Joe’s Crab Shack on Riverside. The event became a social media hit but how did it go in real life? Check it out:
Live In Studio Chats
Pissing People Off
The Captain might not get radio but he sure did get the Internet. Long before fake news was a thing, CJ was pumping out knock off Onion articles and pranking Austin online all while poking a fun at himself and pointing a finger back at society. See more here.
After one brush with viral fame, CJ kept trying to make it big again. It never worked but at least we ave a few of these memorable moments.
If there is only one thing you know about CJ Morgan it is probably that he had a paralyzed wiener dog named Miles. In 2011, just as CJ was moving over to KLBJ, his dachshund suffered a ruptured disc as part of IVDD (or a mob related betting thing – as Miles was a racing dachshund). Though emergency surgery saved his life, it could not save his legs. After that sad day, Miles became a regular part of CJ’s routine. He came to work, concerts, and even station events. Miles was so well known that over the years that KLBJ listeners raised thousands of dollars to save his life several more times (often in a matter of hours). In May of 2017, with another surgery looming, a difficult decision was made. Miles was put to rest in the comfort of his own back yard with CJ Morgan at his side. Months later, the community gathered to send him off with a special viking funeral.
- Hired by the KLBJ Promotions staff in 2007
- Started working in office as an assistant
- Started working front desk in early mornings, annoying morning shows with bits, Photoshoping tacos, and sending reply-all emails (thus gaining the love of all my coworkers).
- Started the Can’t Get a Job on the Radio Podcast with Chuy
- Got weekend fill-in gig on 101x (2009)
- Won Can-Do Partimer of the year for Emmis Austin Radio
- Become famous thanks to a YouTube video
- Promoted to Regular Part-Time (Lead) Promotions Coordinator (2010)
- Miles become paralyzed (2011)
- Started filling in on-air in evenings
- Hired to be full time KLBJ evening man/promo employee (2011)
- Newly single, moved into a new house and begin filling in during middays
- Hired to be full time midday disc jockey (2012) later told I will still have to be a shitty KLBJ-AM promotions employee and work all the shitty garden remotes, early broadcasts etc.
- Excellence in Digital Content Award, Emmis Communications (2013)
- Initiative Award, Emmis Austin (2013)
- Austin Radio Personality of the Year (2014)
- Demoted back to evenings after structural changes (2014)
- Became KLBJ Social Media Coordinator & Digital Content Producer (2014)
- Became Digital Content Producer for Dudley & Bob + Matt (2015)
- Wrote this blog post (2016)
- Initiative Award, Emmis Austin (2017)
- Miles died (2017)
- Hired back by 101x (2019)