UFC 167: What you Need to Know
11/15/2013 10:15:00 AM
The UFC is celebrating 20 years and I am celebrating getting to see another amazing fight. Here is what you need to know about the main event:
- Limited tickets are available at ticketmaster.com.
- The main card will be available live on Pay-Per-View at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT.
- Prelims will air live on FOX Sports 1 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT.
- MAIN EVENT: The longest-reigning champion in the UFC, welterweight king GEORGES ST.-PIERRE, returns to the Octagon® to face No.1 contender JOHNY HENDRICKS.
- “GSP” will be fighting in the United States for the first time in three-and-a-half years, taking on his most dangerous challenger to date. His 24-2 record includes a current winning streak of 11 consecutive victories and 10 straight title defenses. Recognized as one of the most popular athletes in Canadian history, St-Pierre’s ground and pound and submission expertise will be put to the test against the outstanding wrestler Hendricks.
- HENDRICKS packs a powerful punch perhaps never seen before in the UFC welterweight ranks. The hard-hitting Hendricks will enter the Octagon® with a 15-1 career record, including eight knockouts. More than just a striker, Hendricks is a former two-time Division I NCAA wrestling champion and four-time All-American. Hendricks' grappling skills will be put to the supreme test against GSP’s precision and athleticism. Does he have the power to shock the world? We’ll find out on Nov. 16.
- CO-MAIN EVENT: RASHAD EVANS vs. CHAEL SONNENin a clash of UFC light heavyweight legends and fan favorites as both aim to earn their second consecutive victory in hopes of positioning themselves for another title shot.
- EVANS (23-3-1) most recently won a split decision over veteran Dan Henderson, and hopes to earn his sixth win in his last eight bouts.
- SONNEN (29-13-1) is riding the momentum of an outstanding first-round submission of Mauricio “Shogun” Rua this past August at the inaugural FOX Sports 1 event in Boston.
- Also on the main card:
- Welterweights RORY MACDONALD vs. ROBBIE LAWLER
- Welterweights TYRON WOODLEY vs. JOSH KOSCHECK
- Flyweights TIM ELLIOT vs. ALI BAGAUTINOV